XIX and XX century, Brcko has suddenly evolved in
economical and cultural areas. Since Austrian occupation
Brcko starts to harbor new life, guided by personal
interest of autrian financial capital, to increase
it's profit bz means of exploatation cheap work force
and to secure market for it's industrial products.
XIX Brcko becomes economic and cultural center of
bosnian Posavina region. In that time all four destinguished
"mahala's" are being established: Stara
(Atik), Nova (Džedid), Varoš and Karanfil, and the
city prospers into main economic and industrial center,
especialy in and after 1830. when the Danube Steamboat
Society is founded. Boats run by this society are
trafficking to Brcko and transport plums and wheat.
Around yaer 1850. city had 300 muslim and 60 orthodox
households. At the end of XIX centurty, Brcko exported
250.000-300.000 cents of dry plums to Austria, Germany,
England and even America. Brcko was inport line for
salt from Austria and Romania for Bosnia.
second half of XIX century, Brcko, as economic center,
attracts many people from different parts of Bosnia,
so that in 1878. it has close to 3000 citizens. Several
serbian muslims has also came to Brcko, including
Aliaga Kucukalic, that later became one of the richest
tradesman in the city. With city development, on it's
territory, many new building are being built. As existing
"han's" were not suitable for needs of tradesman
from neighbouring austrian countries, ALiaga Kucukalic
built a new building with counters and stores, and
7 bedrooms for guests. In september 1869. Brcko is
connected by means of telegraph with Sarajevo, via
Tuzla, and in 1870. postoffice has been established.
1877. steammill has came to life in Brcko, maintaned
by Toša Kojdic, with capacity of 600 ok's per hour.
In the year 1880., Jews have built their own temple,
that was destroyed in 1942. Today's building of White
Mosque (or Džedid mosque) is built in 1881. on the
expense of Hadži Vasfihnuma Zejcirovic, and in year
1883. groundstone is placed for building of catcholic
church. On August 11th 1886. regional hospital is
Kucukalic built in 1891. hotel "Posavina".
By plan of architect Vitek, Brcko city council has
built it's building in 1892. Thi building, built in
mavari style, it is, to day, the most beautiful object
bridge across river Sava, with 755 meters length,
supported by 27 pillars, was open for traffic on September
13th 1894. and was used to connect Brcko by railroad
with Vinkovci. Brcko got electricity in 1899.